What would it be like if you didn’t have pelvic floor muscles? Well for starters your internal organs e.g. bladder, blowel, vagina and uterus would all be on the floor after falling out of your pelvic area. And no one wants that do they? Here is what these all important muscles do for you:
- Pelvic organ support: your pelvic floor muscles naturally hold your pelvic organs in and lifted. This is how they prevent prolapses from happening.
- Continence: your pelvic floor muscles help to hold in urine, solids and wind. This happens naturally without you thinking about it unless there is a problem.
- Enhances your sexual sensation: this is a big one but something not a lot of people know. Your pelvic floor muscles can actually arouse you more and give you a heightened orgasm. They are responsible for the amount of sensation you and your partner feel during sex. Now how is that not a reason to strengthen your muscles….
- Spinal support. Your pelvis and spine are supported by your pelvic floor muscles and your deep transverse abdominus. They can prevent back pain and provide strength and stability to your body.
- Childbirth. If you can relax your pelvic floor muscles, especially during labour then you can reduce your risk of tearing. The more control you have over them the easier it is to relax them when you need to.